Saturday, October 01, 2005

Wolfram for Your Cell

Wolfram Research, home of Mathematica and math nerd Stephen Wolfram, is hoping to cash in on the 2-bucks-for-a-ringtone market with WolframTones. However, their ringtones are cool.

The site uses algorithms from some of Wolfram's work to generate, at the click of a mouse, a wholly unique ringtone. You tell it to make something that sounds vaguely like a piano, or something roughly hip-hoppish, or whatever, and it spits out 30 secs of new music with 4 variations. If you like what you hear, pony up 2 bucks. If not, click again. Surprisingly, the results sound better than a lot of electronic musicians we know. We clicked and clicked for an hour this morning and encourage you to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. So funny, I was checking this out for a while, yesterday, linking off of Kurzweilai.net (Kurz has a book out, and Kurz and Wolfram occassionally collaborate to shake up the scientific community), plus, I own my own New Kind of Science tome since the date of its release.

    HEhe. I don't get the tones thing. I can't tell what the algorithms represent, yet. But I was quite intrigued by the huge selection of musical scales to choose from.

    But bro should have explained how his algorithm for dance differs from classical and how he seeded it. Or I should go back and flip though bro's big-ass book...

    ReplyDelete